The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Application Deadline: 2nd June 2020
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
Type: Masters, PhD
To be Taken at (Country): Malawi
Eligible Field(s) of Studies: The scholarships at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
• Master of Science in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
Number of Awards: 18
Value of Award: Fully-funded
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper division)
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme
Application Process: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) has set its own deadlines.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. DAAD
Documents to be submitted in English:
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
• Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
• Letter of admission for the host university
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
• Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
• Copy of the passport
• if applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
• Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
• Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see
• Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
Visit The Official Website For More Information